Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival
Parrsboro – Nova Scotia – Canada
Meet the 2018 Juried Artists !
“This magical place, with dramatic Fundy tides and changing atmospheric conditions, makes for an endless supply of possible painting subjects – every artist’s dream.” – William (Bill) Rogers – Honorary Chair
For the last five thousand years 160 billion tons of water have flowed in and out of the Bay of Fundy four times in twenty four hours. The sea rises and falls forty feet twice a day. The results are some of the most stunning sea/landscapes on the planet.
HONORARY FESTIVAL CHAIRMAN – William Rogers CSPWC TWSA SCA
William (Bill) Rogers is an Elected Member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC) of which he is currently the Past President. He is also a signature member of the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and the Société Canadienne de l’Aquarelle (SCA).
In May of 2014, Bill served as the Royal Tour Artist for the 2014 Royal Tour of Canada by HRH Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall. It was the experience of a lifetime.
THE JUDGE – Richard Sneary
Richard Sneary from Missouri, is a highly acclaimed plein air artist, a winner of many awards in plein air events, collected by fine galleries and collectors and highly sought as an instructor in the field of plein air painting.
A graduate of the University of Kansas, Richard started his career as a painter in 2011 after 40 years working as an architect, architectural illustrator, and educator.
Sneary is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society and Missouri Watercolor Society, and a President Emeritus of The American Society of Architectural Illustrators.
Thirty-five qualifying plein air artists have been selected from across North America and will compete for more than $8,000 in cash and product awards.
Meet the artists here.
FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHT OF EVENTS
Artists Competition: Thursday to Saturday – June 14, 15, 16
- The general public is invited to search out their favorite artist and watch them paint.
- Artist Locations will be marked with bright red and yellow banner flags near their painting location.
- Day one and two take in the large area from Advocate Harbour to Five Islands
- Day three boundaries are from Diligent River to Two Islands
Collectors’ Preview and Artists Awards Night -Sat June 16, 8-10 pm.
- An opportunity to be the first to see 70 new canvasses “hot off the press”!
- A chance to purchase your favourite painting(s) before the public art sales on Sunday June 17.
Quick Draw Contest– 12:00 to 2:00 pm – Sun, June 17
- Artists will paint from noon until 2 pm, judging will happen at 2:30.This competition is open to everyone – juried artists and all members of the public.
- Painting will occur in the downtown core of Parrsboro.
- Prizes are: $300, $200 and $100.
Public Art Sales – Sun, June 17, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
The Hall, 44 King Street
Art Lab Studios & Gallery, 121 Main Street.
EVENT SCHEDULE AND PROTOCOL FOR ARTISTS
Click here see the full schedule and artist protocol.
Download here the Event Schedule and Protocol for Artists.
Applications were juried by master plein air artists Joy Laking and William Rogers.
APPLICATION PROSPECTUS – Click here
- Best in Show – $2,500
- Second Place Award – $1,500
- Third Place Award – $1,000
- Best Use of Light – $500
- Best Seascape – $500
- Purchase Award
- Artists’ Choice Award – Product
- Product Awards
A highlight event where collectors, corporate interests, political figures, the artists and the general public will have first viewing of seventy original canvasses – and first chance to purchase! – before these new works of arts go up for public sale the following day. The admission fee of $100 to this event can be credited to the purchase of a plein air painting. Saturday June 16, 8-10 pm.Purchase here
FESTIVAL POINTS OF NOTE:
- Applications to participate in this Festival can be made online.
- Public Sales will take place on the Sunday of the festival.
- Information about artists painting location sites will be provided to the public.
- Housing will be provided for participating artists.
Plein air painting images courtesy Bill Rogers, Joy Laking, Tom Forrestall and the 2017 participating artists