COLLECTOR´S PREVIEW AND AWARDS NIGHT SPONSOR
SPECIAL AWARDS SPONSOR
“This magical place, with dramatic Fundy tides and changing atmospheric conditions, makes for an endless supply of possible painting subjects – every artist’s dream.” – William (Bill) Rogers – Honorary Chair
For the last five thousand years 160 billion tons of water have flowed in and out of the Bay of Fundy four times in twenty four hours. The sea rises and falls forty feet twice a day. The results are some of the most stunning sea/landscapes on the planet.
HONORARY FESTIVAL CHAIRMAN – William Rogers CSPWC TWSA SCA
William (Bill) Rogers is an Elected Member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC) of which he is currently the Past President. He is also a signature member of the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and the Société Canadienne de l’Aquarelle (SCA).
In May of 2014, Bill served as the Royal Tour Artist for the 2014 Royal Tour of Canada by HRH Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall. It was the experience of a lifetime.
THE JUDGE – Nancy Tankersley
A central figure in the USA plein air movement and a founder of Plein Air Easton in Maryland, Nancy travels worldwide to participate in plein air competitions, both as a judge and a guest instructor. Recent honors include Best of Show at 2018 The Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival in Nova Scotia, Best of Show at the Lighthouse Plein Air Festival 2017 in Tequesta Florida, and the Dickinson Award for Best Painting by a Signature Member of the American Impressionist Society 2016 Annual Juried Exhibition.
Nancy, internationally recognized for her unique style as a Contemporary Impressionist, is a Signature Member of the American Impressionist Society, the American Society for Marine Art, and the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters, and also holds memberships in the Washington Society for Landscape Painters and the Salmagundi Club. Founder and Director of the Easton Studio, a workshops facility begun in Easton in 2010, Nancy mentors and teaches workshops and also sponsors classes by nationally known painters.
Thirty qualifying plein air artists will be selected from across North America and will compete for more than $8,000 in cash and product awards.
FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHT OF EVENTS
Artists Competition: Thursday to Saturday – June 20, 21, 22
- The general public is invited to search out their favorite artist and watch them paint.
- Artist Locations will be marked with bright red and yellow banner flags near their painting location.
- Day one and two take in the large area from Advocate Harbour to Five Islands
- Day three boundaries are from Diligent River to Two Islands
Collectors’ Preview and Artists Awards Night -Sat June 22, 8-10 pm.
- An opportunity to be the first to see 70 new canvasses “hot off the press”!
- A chance to purchase your favourite painting(s) before the public art sales on Sunday June 23.
Quick Draw Contest– 12:00 to 2:00 pm – Sun, June 23
- Artists will paint from noon until 2 pm, judging will happen at 2:30.This competition is open to everyone – juried artists and all members of the public.
- Painting will occur in the downtown core of Parrsboro.
- Prizes are: $300, $200 and $100.
Public Art Sales – Sun, June 23, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
The Hall, 44 King Street
Art Lab Studios & Gallery, 121 Main Street.
EVENT SCHEDULE AND PROTOCOL FOR ARTISTS
Download here the Event Schedule and Protocol for Artists.
Applications will be juried by master plein air artists Joy Laking and William Rogers.
APPLICATION PROSPECTUS – Click here
APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 ARE NOW CLOSED
These awards were offered in 2018 but offer artists interested in applying a sense of scale to our awards. We anticipate these will remain the same or grow.
- Best in Show – $2,500
- Second Place Award – $1,500
- Third Place Award – $1,000
- Best Use of Light – $500
- Best Seascape – $500
- Best Nocturne – $500
- Artists’ Choice Award – Product
- Product Awards
A highlight event where collectors, corporate interests, political figures, the artists and the general public will have first viewing of seventy original canvasses – and first chance to purchase! – before these new works of arts go up for public sale the following day.
General admission* – $40
*doors will be open for general admission ticket holders at 8pm.
VIP Admission – $100 – Offers first viewing of new works and the opportunity to purchase before general admission. Doors will be open to VIP ticket holders at 7pm.
FESTIVAL POINTS OF NOTE:
- Applications to participate in this Festival can be made online.
- Public Sales will take place on the Sunday of the festival.
- Information about artists painting location sites will be provided to the public.
- Housing will be provided for participating artists.
Plein air painting images courtesy Bill Rogers, Joy Laking, Tom Forrestall and the 2017 participating artists