2017 Residencies August and September
Our residency program is up and running. Check here for more info.
Parrsboro Creative’s Artist-In Residence Program offers opportunities for visual artists to live and work in Parrsboro for periods ranging from 2 to 4 weeks. Artists-in-residence are provided with studio space, accommodation, as well as a weekly honorarium.
Artists-in-residence are required to provide one public presentation/workshop/exhibition during their residency. Parrsboro Creative Residencies are open to both emergent and established artists.
Applications Deadline: July 31, 2017
Residency Time period: August 1 to October 15, 2017
Key Concept: At the heart of the vision of Parrsboro Creative is a belief in, and a commitment to, the development of a new cultural economy for Parrsboro and its radial community. We believe that, through the sustained support of carefully selected cultural initiatives, an arts-centered environment can be established that will bring artistic excellence and cultural tourism together in such a way that it will stabilize, revive, and in time, sustain a new prosperity for Parrsboro and Cumberland County.
• To provide a stimulating, supportive environment that promotes artistic exploration and the time for the artist to take the creative process to the next level;
• To promote excellence – regionally, nationally, internationally;
• To encourage artists to become part of a vibrant creative community dedicated to enriching the quality of life through art;
• To invite artists to explore their ideas and practice within the context of the Bay of Fundy/Minas Basin region;
• To create a dynamic interplay between art and community as an organic part of everyday living;
• To develop the connection between arts and education;
• To enhance Parrsboro’s reputation for being a cultural-tourism destination as a community of creative thinkers and explorers.
• Time Frame: 2 to 4 weeks – Spaces for 4 artists;
• Artists will be provided with an individual studio space, comfortable housing, and a stipend of $1200 for one month residencies and $600 for two week residencies;
• Audience/public engagement opportunities;
• Artists will be responsible for covering costs associated with the purchase of materials, shipment of artwork/supplies, and daily travel costs;
• The studio paces are on Main Street and the artists should be prepared to welcome the public into their studio space for selected hours during the week;
Artist Activities/Opportunities as part of the residency:
• Artists will have the opportunity to be part of a thriving artist community and to work in partnership with the Art Lab Studios & Gallery which is located steps away from the artist residence/studio.
• Art Lab has five artists in residence who live in Parrsboro; and in addition to this, there are many visual artists doing original work of high calibre in Parrsboro and its radial community: Randy Corcoran, Taylor Redmond, Joy Laking in Portapique, stone-carver Heather Lawson in Bass River, Arlene Collins in Diligent River.
• Artists will be invited to all Parrsboro Creative cultural events
• Artists will be asked to engage with the community, with the Youth Artist Resident program, And with Art in Education. The nature of and time of these engagements will be determined by the skills and interest of each artist.
Comissions / Art Sales during Residency
• Artists are welcome to bring previously created work for sale with a 30% commission to Parrsboro Creative who will provide promotional support for the artists’ work.
• There will be a 25% commission to Parrsboro Creative on works of art sold that are created during the residency.
• Applications are open to a range of disciplines within the visual arts.
• Artists from all levels in their career who exhibit a strong professional work ethic and a collaborative attitude are invited to apply.
• Artists will be selected using a panel review process to consider the following criteria: overall merit of work, readiness to engage with the community, potential to develop creative practice, influence by the location, and statistical data including career level, and geographic location. References of finalists will be contacted.
• A 30-minute conference call between the finalists and program administrators will be conducted before acceptance into the residency program.
• CV or resume Resume (4-page maximum)
• Artist Statement (1,000 character limit)
• Responses to following open-ended questions: • Written Document: We would like to know about you, your work, and why you wish to apply for this residency in your career. (1500 character limit)
• Tell us about what you believe in the interactions between an artist and her/his community. (1,000 character limit)
• Artists are expected to engage with the community. Given this requirement, what ways would you be most interested in engaging with the community? (1,000 character limit)
• Contact info for three professional references (Name, email, phone number, and relationship)
• Portfolio of work (5 to 10 forms of documentation)
Application Fee – $10 cdn
Please Email Submissions to:
E: [email protected]